There simply is no easier or delicious way to prepare a freshly caught Rainbow than this wine steamed Trout recipe.
Most of our camping trips involve fishing for trout. Frying was always our favorite method but this recipe is also very good, and as an added bonus there is no cleanup.
All you need is a roll of aluminum foil, onions or shallots, salt, pepper, and some white wine.
Tip: If you are anything like me, you will frequently find yourself on a camping trip without any white wine. In that case, you can substitute a light beer for the wine.
Of course you can always make the more traditional Pan Fried Trout!
Wine Steamed Trout
- Clean and descale your trout (Cooking trout with the head on helps to keep the fish tender and hold in the ingredients).
- Pat fish dry inside and out with a paper towel and season cavity with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the chopped shallots evenly inside the fish.
- Make a boat with the aluminum foil for each fish that is large enough to be sealed.
- Place the fish on it’s back in the foil, add 1 tablespoon of white wine and seal.
- Cook over the fire grate or on a grill until the fish easily separates from the bones (about 15-20 minutes for a 12 inch trout, but can vary based on cooking surface temperature).