When it comes to camping recipes, nothing will make you look or feel more like a professional camp cook than making a great Dutch Oven Mountain Man Breakfast.
There are many recipes out there for this classic one dish camp breakfast, but few can stand up to this Camping Recipes original.
This Mountain Man Breakfast can be baked in a conventional oven as well, but you will need to add some time, and remove the lid for the last 10 minutes of baking to achieve the same results with the cheese topping.
This recipe calls for a 12 inch camp dutch oven, but can be adjusted for other sizes.
If you prefer a little more sweetness at breakfast time, try our Apple Sausage Breakfast recipe.
Dutch Oven Mountain Man Breakfast
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon salt, cilantro, and sliced tomatoes and set aside.
- Mix the cheeses together in a separate bag or bowl.
- Light about 30 charcoal briquets in a starter chimney. Lay 18 of the hot briquets under your dutch oven, and the rest on the lid. Set the lid aside.
- Wipe the inside of the dutch oven with the cooking oil, and place over the coals until the bottom surface is “skillet hot”.
- Add the bacon and cook until almost crispy.
- Stir in the red pepper and yellow onions and simmer until the onions start to soften, then add the hashbrowns and stir.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the hash browns start to crisp.
- Meanwhile, add the eggs, pepper, and ½ teaspoon salt to a large plastic zipper bag and mix thoroughly with your fingers (from the outside).
- Level the top layer of the hash browns and sprinkle with about ¼ of the cheese mixture.
- Gently pour the egg mixture over hash browns and put the lid in place.
- Move charcoal around until you have evenly distributed 12 coals under, and 18 on the Dutch Oven lid.
- Cook for about 20-30 minutes or until the eggs have almost set, rotating the oven and lid once to cook evenly.
- Spread the remaining cheese evenly across the top of the eggs and replace the lid for another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the coals from the dutch oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut into serving size portions and serve with the sliced tomatoes on top.