This is easily the best cornbread casserole recipe you will find.
This recipe is wonderful combination of jalapeno cornbread and a delicious cornbread casserole.
It can be served as a side dish, but is hearty enough to be a meal by itself.It takes some effort to put together, but I promise you it is well worth the time.
The recipe calls for a 12 inch Dutch Oven and 28-30 charcoal briquets, but can also be cooked in a conventional oven at 375 degrees.
Try this cornbread recipe together with my Southern Fried Chicken and you will go to bed happy.
(I almost said “die happy” but that is clearly not what we hope to achieve here)
Jalapeno Cornbread Casserole
- Cook the sausage, then drain and set aside.
- Brown the onions until soft.
- Start about 28 to 30 charcoal briquets.
- Coat the inside of the dutch oven with butter or shortening, and then dust the greased areas with a light coating of flour.
- In a large bowl, mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, milk, buttermilk, oil, and eggs.
- Stir in the onions, jalapenos, and creamed corn.
- Pour ⅓ to ½ of the batter into the dutch oven.
- Spread the cheese and sausage over batter evenly.
- Pour the remaining batter over the cheese and sausage.
- Cover, and spread the charcoal around the dutch oven so that ⅓ of it is underneath, and the rest are on the lid.
- Bake for 1 to 1-½ hours until the center is baked, turning the lid and oven ¼ turn in opposite directions every 15 minutes.