2 hrs 30 mins
We recently served this French Toast Casserole recipe for our guests at an Easter brunch.
It was so popular, I decided to try it in a Dutch Oven and discovered it was an even better Camping Recipe
For best results soak the bread and egg mixture in a sealed container overnight to allow the egg mixture flavors to blend with the bread.
If you are making the Dutch Oven French Toast Casserole recipe, you can use a dutch oven liner for easier cleanup.
In a conventional oven, bake at 350 degrees checking for doneness after 35 minutes.
Be sure to check out my other delicious Breakfast Camping Recipes
Dutch Oven French Toast Casserole
2 hrs 30 mins
- Beat the eggs together with vanilla, nutmeg, clove and cinnamon
- Combine the egg mixture with milk and cream
- Soak the bread slices and egg mixture for at least 2 hours in a container or zipper bag, or overnight
- When you are ready to cook, start about 26 charcoal briquets in a chimney starter
- In a small pan combine the butter, brown sugar, and syrup, stirring continuously until boiling
- Arrange the soaked bread in a 12 inch dutch oven
- Spread the diced apples evenly on the bread, then pour any remaining egg mixture over the apples
- Evenly distribute the hot brown sugar, butter, maple mixture over the top of the ingredients
- Finish with a sprinkle of crushed candied pecans, and cover
- Arrange 9 hot charcoal briquettes under the dutch oven, and set the remaining charcoal on the lid.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the eggs have set up, turning the oven and lid ¼ turns in opposite directions every 15 minutes